USB viruses are one of the most common virus types and I recently caught one on my Pendrive. It is a virus that hides all the files on your drive and creates a link named “Removable Drive (16GB).lnk”. However, this virus is not as scary as it seems. It doesn’t delete your files or encrypt them. Instead, it creates a hidden folder and moves all the files into that folder. Here I will show you how to remove this virus from your drive.
How To Clean Your USB Drive
Here are the steps to remove a USB virus that hides all your files from your USB drive:
- Open a command prompt (Windows Key + R, then type
cmd and press ENTER) and navigate to your drive by typing drive letter and semicolon like
F: then press ENTER. Use your own drive letter here.
- Run this command
attrib -s -r -h *.* /s /d /l
- Open a windows explorer window, navigate to your USB drive and search for
- You will see all of your files in search results. Right-click one of them and select
"Open Containing (Destination) Folder".
- Navigate to the top folder containing all your files and move all of them to your desktop.
- Now that you saved your files, it is safe to format the USB drive.
- Right click on the USB drive and select
Quick Format and press
- Restore your files from Desktop back to your USB drive if you need to.
Virus Detailed Information
And for reference here is a list of all files added by the virus:
E:Removable Drive (16GB).lnk
E:System Volume Information
E:System Volume InformationIndexerVolumeGuid
E:System Volume InformationWPSettings.dat
I hope this solution solved your problem. If you like this post follow me on twitter for more tips.
Most of our visitors come from those search terms:
- How to remove virus which hides all files in USB and creates a shortcut of all files
- How to Remove Shortcut Virus Permanently | SOLVED!
- How to Remove Shortcut Virus from USB Flash Drive and Computer.
- How to remove shortcut virus from pendrive using cmd
- How can I remove the shortcut virus?
- How can I remove shortcut virus from my USB?