Google Analytics gives you a wide range of options for analyzing your sites. One great feature I like most is the campaign links tracking. Here I will show you how to create campaign links. *** Using the campaign link structure you can easily track;
- Where your visitors come from,
- What media they used,
- What keyword they were looking for,
- What campaign returned user to your site.
Campaign link structure includes get elements starting with “utm_”. Here is a sample campaign link :
As you can see campaign tags are appended at the end of the link. Each tag has a special meaning and gives you great analytics capabilities :
- utm_source : defines referrer site,
- utm_media : media type that channeled user to your site,
- utm_keyword : if this link was an ad, what keyword it was displayed for,
- utm_content : defines type of link used (image/text/flash)
- utm_campaign : this tag defines the campaign you created.
Each campaign must have its own unique key. This way you will know which campaigns attract more visitors. Here is a sample screenshot showing data for the visitors that came from blog feed:
Campaign links are automatically generated for adwords ads. But if you want to build yourself some campaign links here you can find Google’s campaign link creator. For more information on link builder you can visit this guide by Prateek Agarwal.
I hope you found it useful. More analytics posts to come.